0
My Guide to: Demolition Derby's

Posted by Tina on Monday, August 16, 2010

Sometimes my redneck/hicktown/country girl side makes an appearance.. It's usually in the summer and in the form of a Demolition Derby. I am a long time supporter of the Marshall-Putnam County Fair and it's derby's (along with its long rows of livestock and swine... the sweet smell of farm country!). I think it's completely necessary that you have a guide to demo derby's to ensure that you will maximize your next derby experience.


Is that the winner or is his truck on fire?
1. Location: Not only is where you sit while at the derby, but the location of the actual derby itself can truly enhance your hicktown adventure. Derby's located in po-dunk towns are the way to go--that way you'll get the redneck kids with nothing else to do but till up their parents fields and work on their demo cars. These kids are committed to putting on a show for you and are truly badass. Which is why I prefer the Marshall-Putnam County derby to the HOI Fair derby.. M-P Fair is redneck and hick town... HOI is definitely white trash. (Which I should point out: there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!) I will also mention that the closer you can get to the action, the better. It is completely important to sit just high enough that the mud from the cars and the derby track aren't going to ruin your cutest summer garb.

See? NO white, NO heels!
2. Clothing: Which brings me to my next point--don't wear your cutest summer clothes! They will probably get dirty. NEVER wear white. You're sitting at giant mud pit with cars slamming into each other, expect to get just a liiiittle bit dirty. I like to wear brown just in case I do get shot in the chest with a glob of mud...that way I don't look quite as trashy when I hit up the beer tent later in the night (yea, OK--I learned that the hard way!). And girls, leave the heels at home. I wear heels every single day of my life, but if there is one event that I refuse to wear heels--it's the demo derby. If you do wear them, prepare to get the up-and-down from me and my crew.

Me, Anne & Kate basking in the sun!
3. Company: Speaking of my crew, a hicktown fair and a demo derby can only be enjoyed to the max when you're spending time with your group of hicktown friends. Thank goodness I have been friends with these jokers since we were 14 (and some for even longer!). I like to make sure I've got some girlfriends in tow (in this case it was Anne and Kate) and as for the boys it's the farmers, naturally. And you better believe we all show up in a Silverado... and meet up with our uber country friend, Cody, who's truck sounds like a freight train.

4. Pick Your Winner: To add our own action and competition to the derby, everyone's got to pick who they think will be the winner. This year I did AWESOME and picked the winner in several heats! GO ME! Loser buys the winner a beer at the beer tent. Everyone wins!

Only 11 more months til next year's demo derby! Don't you want to go now??



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © A 20 Something's Guide to Life Theme by Laptop Geek. Converted by Blogger for Wordpress to Blogger sponsored by Cinta